Monday, July 18, 2011

Movie Monday: The Wild Hunt

So, I've been meaning to watch this movie ever since hearing about it through this Penny Arcade strip a few weeks back and let me tell you, it was one ball-tingler of a cinematic experience. First of all if you aren't familiar with the concept of Live Action Role-Playing or LARPing, you're probably going to have a difficult time understanding this movie. The movie follows a group of LARPers as they act out a fantasy medieval battle, the main factions consist of knights, vikings, elves, and of course, the evil shamans that live in the forest. 

Not the most stable bunch of people.
Anyway, before this review I had only watched the first few minutes of this movie, so I was expecting a comedy about LARPing. Hilarious! I love movies that riff on nerds, being a nerd myself.  Well, boy howdy was I wrong. This movie got dark and got dark fast. Between the guy whose dad is senile and dying who has to chase his girlfriend after she lives him to run off to join his brother's LARP group, and the absolutely psychotic forest shamans, I found my smile fading fast about half-way through the movie. Then as we near the end of the movie shit gets real and it was time for me to start feeling horrified at this movie. Well as it turns out some people taking LARPing a little too seriously and when it doesn't go quite the way they want it to, they decide to just up and kidnap a bitch and start killing and raping people. Needless to say, tragedy ensues and you're left pretty upset about it until the last 2 minutes of the movie when justice finally gets served HARD.


Overall, for a low budget movie, I have to say this was pretty amazing and it definitely ranks among one of my new favorites.
I'm giving it  4 out of 5 Mjolnirs


No comments:

Post a Comment