Monday, June 20, 2011

Movie Monday: Forbidden Zone

Once in a while, I'll come across a movie that just kind of screams weirdness like an alcoholic man who lives under a bridge trying on sweater vests in a Macy's in the middle of May.  Forbidden Zone is just such a movie.  The movie is directed by Danny Elfman's brother, Richard Elfman and pretty much stars a slew of Elfmans, Oingo Boingo associates, and random actors. There's even a character credited as Hyman Diamond who was literally just a real estate agent recruited to star in the film as long as he be credited anonymously. 


Also the midget from Fantasy Island.


But aside from the cast list, this musical "comedy", makes heavy use of crossdressing, blackface, toplessness, toilet humor, and just plain overall crudeness. It's not so much offensive as it is just plain strange. Imagine a minstrel show from Hell and blend it with Hello Dolly! and I think you'll have a pretty good image of Forbidden Zone

I mean, this is really not like anything else I've ever seen. It's pretty unique but I can't tell if I enjoyed it or if  I was just engaged by the novelty of it.  There's certainly something about seeing the Sub-John Williams Danny Elfman as Satan.

The creator of the Simpson's Theme.


The story is basically about how this family has this horrible dimension locked in their basement where King Fausto and all these freaks live. Anyway Frenchie ventures down there and the Queen wants to kill her because the King falls in love with her. It just gets weirder and weirder as you go  and even trying to explain the plot isn't really going to help matters any. 


Final word goes to Queen Doris in this video clip: 



I guess when it comes down to it I'll have to give it 3 out of 5 Witch's Eggs 


No comments:

Post a Comment