Friday, June 24, 2011

Film Friday: The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert (Special Request)

Being a fairly young man with no children or nephews or nieces, I'm not really sure what it would be like to be a father, but I imagine I'd have to watch a lot of movies of which I was probably not a part of their target audience.   The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert evoked a similar sensation of "there are jokes in this movie that you aren't getting and never will." Maybe it's because I'm not Australian. Maybe it's because I've never gone on a cross country road trip with my friends. Or maybe, maybe it's because I'm not a drag queen.

Pictured: "Fabulosity"

The plot of this movie surrounds the adventures of three cabaret performers, Hugo Weaving(Agent Smith), Terrence Stamp (The Transexual), and Guy Pearce (Sassy Gay Friend) as they head out across the Australian outback to perform in the middle of Australia for Agent Smith's ex-wife's resort. The three main characters all bring something worth watching to the movie. Agent Smith brings the tears and emotions with his attempts to look manly and macho in front of his son who he hasn't seen in 8 years.  The Transexual brings the bad-ass by just being well...bad-ass. She pretty much kicks some big brawny dude's ass just as he's about to kick the crap out of Sassy Gay Friend.   And Sassy Gay Friend is basically there to do what all Sassy Gay Friends do, be loud, be funny, and be quirky. He has his heartfelt moment and then it's back to being the comedy relief and eye candy that he's there for.

Pictured: "Eye candy?"


I'm not going to lie to you I didn't find this movie even remotely interesting until about half-way through when the song and dance number with the Aborigines kicked in. That was pretty amazing.  All in all, I know that I'm probably not part of this movies target audience, but that doesn't stop me from enjoying it a lot more than I thought I would. I mean you really learn to feel for people when they have to wonder if walls are meant "to keep us in or to keep them out."

ALSO THIS:


4 out of 5 EXTREMELY TAINTED PING PONG BALLS



No comments:

Post a Comment