Friday, September 2, 2011

Film Friday: Garuda


So while I was at MechaCon last weekend, I stopped by one of the DVD merchants to search through their wares for any new and interesting titles for my blog. Among the more interesting fare were some relatively unheard of kaiju films. I love kaiju. I probably know more about Godzilla than anyone I know. Now one of the kaiju films that this guy was selling was called Garuda and I asked him about it. He informed me that it was in fact the very first Thai kaiju film and was inspired by the original Godzilla movie. I, of course, thanked the kind vendor for his time and instantly went home to pirate the movie. I'm glad I did so, because if I had bought this piece of crap, I would have been very put out.

Garuda draws it's name from the large phoenix like creature in Hindu and Buddhist mythology, and as bad-ass as the opening to the movie is, the poor special effects and annoying protagonists doom this movie from the start. Like a frozen M&M-filled burrito, this movie has all the ingredients for awesome but in the end it just makes a mess.

Anyway, let me try to QUICKLY summarize the plot for you. Basically, a giant bird-dinosaur/god/creature is uncovered under Bangkok and an elite team of military forces specifically trained to "kill gods" is called in. They kidnap some annoying paleontologists and lo and behold the thing gets loose and rampages. Death ensues. Finally about 1 minute before the credits roll they manage to beat the thing.

As awesome as that sounded, this movie sucks. The effects suck, the monster keeps getting inexplicably larger. The protagonist is completely unlikable and stupid. I really wanted to like this and I had high hopes, but honestly, I'd rather watch Death Kappa and that's saying something.

2 out of 5 actual garudas



No comments:

Post a Comment