Monday, August 22, 2011

Movie Monday: Six-String Samurai


I'm not going to sugar-coat it: I watch a lot of shitty movies. Seriously, I do. Between, Spawn of the Slithis and Q: The Winged Serpent, I've had to indulge in quite a few drinking binges just to overcome the pain of some these films. However, every now and then I come across something refreshing. Something so extraordinarily mind stimulating that it just punches my brain into sheer bliss. Today's movie is one such movie.




Heavy with references to The Wizard of Oz, Six-String Samurai may be one of the greatest films I have ever seen.  It has easily replaced SLC Punk as my favorite music related movie. It may very well be the best post-apocalyptic movie I've ever seen, beating out The Road Warrior and Hardware.  


The plot of the movie follows a rock and roll guitarist/swordsman named Buddy (who is for all intents and purposes Buddy Holly) as he travels through the post-apocalyptic alternate timeline wasteland of America. He is trying to reach Lost Vegas where King Elvis has died and a new guitarist will take the throne. Buddy is joined in his travels by an orphaned child and together they meet cannibals, midgets, savages, bowling bounty hunters, Russians, windmill people, and many others. Among the competition for the crown of Lost Vegas is Death, a shrouded, heavy-metal favoring guitarist/swordsman who travels with a bunch of archers. Death is clearly very powerful and sets out to prove that heavy metal is superior to all by eliminating every other guitarist/musical genre in the land on his way to Lost Vegas. However, in the end Death knows that Buddy is his greatest foe and will stop at nothing to destroy him. This movie is far too good for me to spoil the ending, so you need to go and watch it. Do it. Do it now.




Seriously are you kidding me? 5 out of 5 ratchets.


1 comment:

  1. I saw most of this movie on t.v. as a kid and it has always remained on my to-watch list. That last scene with Buddy and Death is freaking insane. Such a hardcore movie. I'm glad someone still remembers it. Great review Grant! Keep em comin boyo!

    ReplyDelete